Thursday, February 27, 2014

Blog Post 7

This week in class our reading came from Susan Ohanian which took a look at the "Stir-and-Serve Recipes for Teaching". I think with teaching that it is not always one way to do something because all kids are different and learn at different rates. This really can not be the only way to do things because if a kid does not pick up on the things that are trying to be taught they will be left behind and then this will cause a lot of problems for the child. Ohanian says, "And, because teaching must be a renewable contract, if we don't keep seeking new understanding, we'll find that the corners we thought we knew very well will keep slipping away. There are constant, subtle shifts in the schoolroom. One can never be sure of knowing the floor plan forever and ever." This quote really speaks to what she is trying to say that teachers need to be open to having new ideas and that it can not simply be one way to do things forever. I think this reading was really good for me because going into being a teacher I want to know exactly what to do and how to do things in order so I can be a good teacher and it makes me realize that its not always gonna be written down for me or something that I can learn from others. Our last observation as a class really showed me this as I observe red the gym class at Orange High School and it really was a class that the school had completely handed over onto the teacher so that it could improve and with the teacher putting his ideas to use it really is making the physical education class at the high school the best it has ever been. So with reading the chapter in the book and then going on observation it really helped with the lesson this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment